12/10/2011

Changing Impressions


my university: Kansai Gaidai


I would say most of my first impressions are still true but that right now I’m reflecting more on the whole semester. 

I’ve been studying in Japan since August and it’s hard to come to terms with the semester ending. One of the best things about studying at Kansai Gaidai is that it’s so international and you get to make friends from all over the world. So even though I’ll be here next semester a lot of my friends are leaving at the end of next week. I’m also in the apartment style dorm so I live with 7 other unit mates but half of them are moving somewhere else next semester or going home so I’m nervous about living with other people next semester. I’ve become so close with the other girls I live with so its become our Kansai Gaidai family almost. 
Thanksgiving dinner with my Kansai Gaidai Family


Of course this whole semester I’ve been exploring Hirakata and the Kansai area with these international friends. I got to see so much and share those experiences with my friends. Kansai Gaidai is also a great place to meet the Japanese students who are interested in other cultures. It’s probably most interesting to talk to the Japanese students about their own culture and how they perceive it. Unfortunately, I hear Japanese students say they don’t like Japan (mostly because of rules and things of that nature). I think after these students go abroad though they will appreciate their own country more.  I've learned and seen a lot in Kansai during this time. 
Below are some pictures of random places I've been with my friends. 

Kobe

cat cafe in Kyoto

Kaiyukan in Osaka 

1 comment:

  1. You hit the nail on the head - one learns more about their own culture once they leave it. I wonder how you will be feeling about JAPAN once your study abroad is over.

    Thank you for your efforts this semester.

    ReplyDelete